What of the



From Returned Missionaries

Alma O. Taylor's Journal Excerpts-188



戻る (Return)


Editor's Note: 1910 - In Korea and China. I copied and pasted from the transcription of the journals in the BYU Library. I cannot always tell which of the errors are because of poor transcription or just spelling irregularities common at that time in our history. I have made some corrections, but not all to give a flavor of the original journals and because I am lazy.


Pacific Ocean, Sunday, April 3, 1910 . Still cloudy - Heavy head wind - Sea not too rough Up at 9:30. Today being the Sabbath and the saints fast day, I have fasted and prayed with them even though my flesh could not mingle with them in their gatherings. At 10:30 A.M. a "Divine Service" was held in the music hall by a travelling minister who read the English Church service and delivered an uninspirational oration on the true purpose of life. Later I did some writing and then I went on deck where I met Mr. and Mrs Whitley a young couple from Salt Lake City now returning from their honeymoon. He having been in Salt Lake City for about seven years, told interestingly of some of the most recent changes there.

After a long talk with these pleasant people, I went into the music room and read a lecture on the history of John Chinaman. At supper, we had quite an exciting time discussing the merits and demerits of California the home of the Chief Engineer who presides at the table. Bigelow, the newspaper man, convulsed us in laughter by his killing interliners.

After supper, I had occasion to stand up for Japan and the Japanese against a Sandwamean who has been in Japan only long enough to know nothing about the Japanese but to make him think he knows it all.

Pacific Ocean, Monday, April 4, 1910 Clear - Sea smooth - Almost Hot. Up at 8:00. Spent the forenoon writing. Just before dinner I had a short talk with Mrs. Dore about Mormonism. In the afternoon, I worked on the report of the China trip. Before supper I had another short walk. At supper, it was announced that having gotten into the warm zone it was proposed to provide pleasant entertainments for the passangers. Committes were appointed and preparations for deck sport, a concert and a fancy dress supper and ball started. Before going to bed I walked the deck a little with Mr. Rose and Elder Caine.

Pacific Ocean, Tuesday, April 5, 1910 Clear - Calm - Hot up at 8:00. Spent the forenoon writing. In the afternoon, some sports were held on deck. I watched them for about two hours. Such things as the sack race, easily won by my Japanese friend, Mr. Sonoda, and the pillow fight on a rail were very interesting and laughable. After the sports I worked on the report of the China trip. At supper time, Mr. Stone presented the winners of the sports with prizes. The presentations were happily made and gracefuly received. After some more writing, I took a bath and retired.

Pacific Ocean, Wednesday April 5th 1910 . Clear - Breeze cooler - Ocean Calm. Up at 7:45. Having crossed the 180th meridian last evening Tuesday is repeated, this the day lost over eight years ago when I went to Japan is now picked up and I am once more even with life. This forenoon I have devoted to letter writing and light exercise. After dinner I wasted some time watching a laugh- able game of baseball on the deck. Later I worked on the report of the China trip. After supper a consert was held in the Music Room. It was a very entertaining evening. Everyone performed their parts well except a Mr. Bigelow who is such a fool that the charm of his folly has worn out and he is beginning to appear uncouth and offensive. I took a walk on deck. At retiring time I felt sore and sick. I don't know whether my vaccination has taken or not - something is the matter.

I had a nap which lasted till the first call for supper was sounded. After supper, I went on deck to walk for exercise. I got in conversation with Dr. U. E. Machlin of Nanking China. This man is a missionary of the Christian Church. He had many questions to ask - knowing I was a Mormon. I walked with him till half past ten o'clock and then in the hall continued the conversation for fifteen minutes. In the forenoon I met Mr. Graham Lee a missionary from Pyeng Yang, Korea. He was looking for a chess game so I couldn't accomidate him.

Pacific Ocean. Friday, April 1st 1910 . Cloudy - Warmer - Ocean calmer. Up at 8:00. Spent part of the forenoon writing and part playing deck billards. Another American and I were badly beaten by two Japanese gentlemen. After dinner, I worked on a report of the trip in China. A case of small-pox having been found among the third class passengers, all the passengers were required to be vaccinated or run the risk of being detained for 14 days upon arrival at port. Personally, I don't believe in vaccination and have been able so far to avoid it, but today I submitted and got what the doctor called "a light dose." I hope it does not take In the evening I read in the March Era. Today it is reported that some Felippinoes and Indians nearly got into knife fight over a tug of war contest they had on board.

Pacific Ocean, Saturday, April 2, 1910 . Partly clear - Cold Wind - Sea quite smooth. Up at 8:00. the second gong for breakfast woke me this morning. After breakfast, I did some writing in both Japan- ese and English. I am writing a daily journal in English to the missionaries in Tokyo and a daily journal to the Japan- ese saints there. The rest of the morning I spent walking on deck. After dinner, I went on deck and played three or four games of deck billards or shuffle board. I was on the win- ning side each game. The rest of the afternoon was spent working on my report of the trip through China. I shaved and shined up for supper. During supper, we had the graphophone Later, in the music room, I read a little and talked with Rev. Frederick Brown. Elder Caine informed me that there are two people besides us from Salt Lake City on board. Pacific Ocean,